4.12.2009

Look, Ma, no Velveeta!

My mother was not a prolific chef. She had to work all day while my dad stayed home because he worked nights. So he usually made dinner. However, my mother did have a few specialties, including lasagna, beef stroganoff, and a cheesy potato celery soup made with Velveeta. I had a longing for the taste of yesteryear's soup but not for the Velveeta. The result:


The second recipe I've ever made up. I used the cheezy sauce from Veganomicon and added it to a bunch of broth, boiled potatoes, and celery. It was really quite good and very similar to the soup we sometimes ate growing up.

Today is Easter. I talked to my family today, including my uncle from Australia. I wished I had been there instead of on a bus across from a seizure-having guy wearing one of those parole violation ankle bracelet tracker things. I worry a lot about Grandpa.

Friday night was a co-worker's wife's photography exhibit on 3rd Street in SF. It was cool. There was a series of photos featuring beards (?!), naked men, random landscapes of places in the U.S. (this was the one we came to see), and weird pictures that looked 3D, glowy, and totally trippy. There were also some snacks. We ate dinner at the Royal Exchange.

This weekend, I spent a lot of time at the dojo. Saturday and Sunday were the first two cleanup days in preparation for Tai Sai, the celebration of O-Sensei's life, on 4/25. Saturday I cleaned and polished bokkens and jos, and F and I spent a lot of time up on a ladder wiping lights, poles, pipes, and such. Wall washing came next in preparation for the painting, which occurred today! After cleanup on Saturday, we all went to Lanesplitters, which turned out to be pretty cool. I think a lot about this question: "If I were a (insert type of thing here - bird, constellation, mythological creature, etc.), what would I be?" So the conversation here revolved around other people's ideas on what they would be. I think these can be really insightful and fun.

So today was the painting. It took much longer than I thought it would. The dojo looks quite nice now. I have decided to only go to aikido on the days I don't have to be rushing there from work: Wednesday morning and evening as well as Saturday morning. Then I can go three times a week and go to the gym or just crash after work the rest of the week. Getting up for the morning class (6 a.m.) will suck hard, but it'll give me an early start to the day. Or I can just go back to bed for an hour or so before getting up to work.

C and I have been looking at apartments recently just to get an idea of what we'll find once we're ready to move. But today, we found one that looks really, really good. It does not meet every wish I had about a new place, but it has a balcony, a dishwasher, and two bedrooms, and it's in a fairly safe part of town and on the top floor, and it's well within the price range, and it has parking, and these, I think, are most important. I can live without hardwood floors and an in-unit washer/dryer. So C is going to contact them tomorrow. The landlords are the same people from whom we currently rent, so they might be a bit more trusting and cut us some slack for not yet making in income what they require to apply for the place. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this place is pretty cool. It also has a swimming pool, gym, and hot tub. Yesss.

The weather was gorgeous today. I love the sun. It's a natural and free antidepressant.
I need to get back on track foodwise. I have been eating absolute crap, and I can definitely notice a change in the way I feel (worse). Need more salad!!! And fruit, for sure. I was going to make a faux tuna salad for my dinner tomorrow; I need to go to Whole Foods (ugh) though. They're the only place that has seaweed. And flax crackers. And the granola I like. And blah blah blah.

I don't like my bicycle. It's too small, and the tires make street riding much harder. I'm going to get a new seatpost for it ASAP as the current seatpost/electrical tape arrangement is just not working out. Then I will just wait until I feel like I really need a new bike. It's hard to justify buying a new one now.

I am very grateful to have friends who love me. It means more to me than anyone can ever know.

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog! You're right... you do write more than I do. That only gives me encouragement to write more. :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!