3.04.2010

23 Years: A Retrospective


Today is my last day of being 23. It's time to think back on the past year and consider what I've done:

- I got a new job. That was my main goal for the year. So I already consider it a success.

- I had my first larger-scale parties. I used to hate having parties. I'd be mad stressin' over whether everyone else was having fun and get a little upset if the party did not go exactly the way I had envisioned. But I've relaxed quite a bit. Now I know the perfect party formula: booze, food, and good company.
 
- I moved into San Francisco. This is something I've wanted to do for some time but couldn't or didn't. I'm so happy I did. I love it here. Oakland is great, but there's something about being here in SF all the time that is just so beneficial to my state of mind.

- I changed my romantic situation drastically. I won't go into details, but it's worth noting here.

- I made some friends! I spent almost all of my 22nd year nearly friendless because of having nothing in common with my former coworkers and not knowing anyone here. Hi, friends! Thanks for being my friends. I love you!

- I stopped being so shy, standoffish, antisocial, and all-around grumpy. I feel like I've really come into some social skills this year. Now I can (pretty) easily chat with strangers without dorking up the space. I still have the awkward moments you know and love, just not all the time.

- I got into major credit card debt. Moving incurred a lot of expenses as did my carelessness indulging my newfound social life.

- I let go of a lot of anger and frustration about my past. I still have quite a bit, but that's what the ensuing years are for!

- I took care of a lot of medical necessities that I had been putting off for so long because I didn't have real insurance.

My goals for year 24:

- Keep my social life dynamic. I love hanging out with people, having friends, doing things together.

- Pay off my credit card debt.

- Amass a little bit of savings.

- Get closer to figuring out what I want to do with my life. I'm pretty sure this current situation isn't my end goal. Possible options: open a vegan brunch cafe, write a donut cookbook, wait tables (yeah, okay, I like food), go into advertising, be a personal trainer, write a book about one or another of the topics that float through my head on a daily basis, win the lottery...

That's it! PARTY ON.

5 comments:

  1. http://thislife.org/radio-archives/episode/113/Windfall

    [about winning the lottery; it's a good one!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THAT's what your age is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. will you go into details anywhere else? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second that doughnut cookbook idea. Heck, I'll volunteer to be your guinea pig!! I hope you have a great birthday fellow Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The Gain Card there are so many perspectives on the lottery! I'd like to think I'd use it for good, not evil.

    @Cole now you know!

    @urbster1 we'll talk when you're here.

    @Sarah Says thanks, girl!

    <3
    s

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!