3.05.2010

Fixation Friday 3/5/10

 

Five things I love this week:

1. My birthday. If you know me, you know that I make a big deal out of my birthday. It's basically my favorite holiday of the year, and I like to make the most of it since it only comes once a year. So I stretch the celebration/privilege over a week or so.

2. Midlake.


Saw them last night at Great American Music Hall. They are super-intense! They are also way scruffier than they look in this picture. I can't imagine being in that band; each member has to do at least two things at once, guitar + vocals, flute + keys, bass + rockin' the eff out. Everyone is so, so talented. And they have loads of guitars and wind instruments. They put on a really good show.

3. Obscure medieval diseases. They popped up all over the place in the European Dark Ages. The English sweat, the plague (natch), red death (yes, I know it wasn't real), etc. Especially of interest to me is dancing mania. The Dancing Plague of 1518 was started by one lady, and nearly 400 died from it. The weirdest part? They can't tell you what caused it.

Can you imagine if something like that happened today? I love to dance (and foam at the mouth, obvi). I'll start dancing, and everyone around me just won't be able to help but join in. It will be the dance sensation that sweeps the nation. I doubt they'd take the approach favored in the Middle Ages, though, which was to play music to "soothe" our agitated two-step. After law enforcement and medical personnel fail to quash the Dance Dance Rebellion, they'll probably call in the army to shoot at us with tanks. We'll go down in a dancing blaze of glory, but our point will have been made. WHO'S WITH ME?

4. Sandwiches, still.

 

I did manage to get some sandwich relief, but I've still got a fever, and the only prescription is more sandwiches.

5. Beersicles. I just heard of this idea, and it's brilliant! How had I never thought of this? It's a bit chilly here in SF to make a go at this, but spring is coming. You'd better believe I'll be poppin' beersicles up on my roof once the temperature breaks 70.

What's blipping across your radar this week?

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5.3.10

    can i have your hat? kthxbai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends which hat!
    s

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about the beersicle rent party? you know it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT is a good idea. Let's wait for the weather to warm up.
    s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah—I hope you had a great birthday. That sandwich looks delicious...given me fever!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!