3.17.2010

Random Memory I


Nanny and I sat across from each other at the dining room table in my parents' home. She enjoyed Braunschweiger on Ritz crackers and a cup of sugar-laden milk with a splash of coffee. I was probably eating candy, cookies, or pie, just before dinner, like she taught me to do. She slapped her left hand on the table. I grinned, recognizing the signal, and slapped my right hand down on top of hers. Not missing a beat, she slapped her other hand on top of mine in a hand sandwich. I completed the stack with my left hand. Here's where it got good. She slid her warm, chubby left hand with skin as wrinkled and thin as a fallen maple leaf out from the bottom of the hand tower and put it on the top. I did the same with my right hand. The pattern continued, building momentum, until it became so fast that we were really only waving our hands in a mock catfight, our fingertips occasionally brushing each other's. We laughed.


Nanny (Gladys Behlmer McConnell, my mother's mother's mother) came to live with us when I was very young. She was sensitive to "shpishay" foods, like jalapenos. Sometimes she took a "sharr" for an "arr" to "warsh" her "harr." She taught me to say, "I'm too full for supper... but not too full for dessert!" She would fill a teaspoon with her creamy, sugary coffee and let me drink from it. She probably made my parents' lives a nightmare sometimes. Whenever someone in my family has a brownie and two cupcakes for dinner, parades around only in socks, shoes, and underpants, pretends to have a life-threatening disease until Baskin Robbins ice cream is available, or behaves like a weirdo in general, that's the Behlmer in us.

My first experience with a hospital was when Nanny went to one and we visited. My first experience with death was when she died. I think I was five. I wasn't allowed at the funeral. As I laid on the pull-out in the living room and kicked at the sheets, my parents told me she was in heaven, drinking her favorite drink (I don't remember what it was, but I am sure as shootin' that it was sweet). I cried all that night, and I remember them crying, too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Makes me think of memories of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. I miss her and think of her often. I'm glad you remember her too!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!