5.11.2010

'Tron Tuesday 5/11/10


You've been waiting an entire week for me to tell you what to look at on the Intertron. I have to say I think this is a pretty good one. Here you go:

1. I'm on the Intertron somewhere besides here! Thank you to the incomparable Sarah Von and her Moments of Win Flickr group.

2. This person shares my name, lives in SF, and has a business I could only dream of. SO JEL. But we could still be friends, maybe?

3. Have you ever wanted to express your unhappiness with a thief of some sort -- your ex, your parents, the jerk who took your yogurt from the office refrigerator -- but couldn't contain your rage to one passive-aggressive note? Chelsea I Want My Flannel Back is a place for you to send your letters and commiserate with others who had their dignity, their proms, their items of clothing stolen. As for me: DJ, I want my $400, the air conditioner, and all those tanks of gas back; EM, I want my love of beards back; KF, I want my grade school friends back.

4. You guys know I'm an ad lover. American Apparel, famous for such sleazy happenings as this and ads as this, proclaims that their too-sexy (in the opinion of some) advertising merely shows ordinary individuals doing ordinary things. But it's being targeted by a photographer and her friend with Freeman-Sheldon syndrome, challenging the harm that advertising can foist on the viewers, especially people who do not fit a certain aesthetic: "'American Able' intends to, through spoof, reveal the ways in which women with disabilities are invisibilized in advertising and mass media."



AdRants thinks it's a great idea but dismisses its ability to change the standard media-wide use of beautiful people:

"Yes, we will pay lip service to the objectification of women, the dumbing down of dads and the plight of minorities. But we will not give up our desire to stare at beautiful people instead of regular people, fantasize about a life more glamorous than our own and believe the products we buy will make us as hot as the people pimping them."

And I agree. Without this fundamental idea, advertising would lose its effect. What do you think?

5. From SNL this past weekend, the funniest sketch: "Many bakers from my era have dry or even yeasty muffins." "A yeasty muffin can really ruin your whole day."



Where are you going in your confangled machine box this week?

xo,
s

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Betty White. Be still my heart. Thanks to her, I'm calling my cats "dusty muffins" now.

    P.S. GK, I want my 29th birthday back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're famous! And I know you. That makes me famous by proxy. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.P.S. VW, I want Thanksgiving 2008 back. And my love of this china pattern: http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Round-Dinner-plate-Sakura/dp/B001T5YYY8/ref=pd_sim_k_2

    No more post scripts from me. Lucky for you, I haven't dated much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, you have to hate that china pattern? I'm so sorry; it's beautiful. :(
    s

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!