5.25.2010

'Tron Tuesday 5/25/10


Hi! 'Tron Tuesday! Go!

1. What's even greener than Craigslist and Freecycle? Possibly Rentalic, where you can rent person-to-person. I'm going to see if anyone wants to rent my DVD collection (one copy each of Anchorman and The Protector) and charge by the hour.

2. I learned just yesterday what "icing" is. To sum up: It's a new drinking game in which you basically trick your "bros" into getting down on one knee and chugging a Smirnoff Ice. Ideally you want to ice your bro at the least appropriate time (think at work or a wedding) and in the most disgusting way possible (think a grape-flavored Ice left in a black car in the sun all day). A good question has been raised: Is icing only for bros? Can the ladies ice and be iced as well? At first, I was like, "THIS IS SO DUMB," but after thinking about it for a while, I want to play.

3. I already knew most of this info on veganism in this article in the SF Chronicle, but y'all might learn something or at least get a few recipes (near the bottom). It does, however, include a lot of restaurants I didn't know about... Anyone want to take me out for dinner?

4. The Middle Finger Project has this great article about "the lost art of quitting." From the article:
Quitting has become the equivalent of committing a sin.  It has turned into a moral issue of sorts; we stick with something, oftentimes for the principle of it, rather than the value of it.  And while that may score us brownie points from the integrity fairy, the truth is that it isn’t going to do much in terms of advancement.
Were you always taught never to quit? That it wouldn't look so good if those perseverance gods saw you failing to finish something? Whether that something was a painting that you messed up so badly you didn't even want to fix it anymore or your high school diploma, you're supposed to follow through, to stick with something to the end. In fact, such dedication is rewarded; think of football players who "tough it out" with an injury until the end of the game. How does that make sense with our natural human instinct of self-preservation?

It's not just a no-holds-barred, pro-quitting post. Most important, Ashley says, is our freedom to quit things that don't matter. If something does matter to you (your high school diploma, your piano lessons), then keeping your integrity and persevering will help you to come out stronger on the other side of a rough patch. You'll realize how much it mattered, and you'll be even happier you didn't quit something important than if you just stuck with it because "that's what you do."

5. Feeling down but don't think an ordinary affirmation will cut it? Sign up for Daily Drag Queen Affirmations for a liberal dose of fabulous every morning. Luckily, you can try before you buy, and you can find old ones on YouTube:


So... anyone want to take me out? I promise not to ice you... or do I?

xo,
s

2 comments:

  1. Yes, let me be the first to say I want to take you out. And I haven't had a Smirnoff Ice in, let's say, eight years. So I'm overdue for a poor excuse for alcohol. I accept the challenge.

    Also, quitting is definitely a lost art, and more people should do it (for the right reasons). I once walked away from a terrible job that was eating me alive, and it's one of the best things I ever did for myself. And I've tried to encourage others to do the same. It has been met with mixed results. Because no one wants to be a quitter. Even if being a quitter makes you a happier, healthier person. Stupid quitter stigma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, girl! Save it for if (when?) we meet IRL. I got iced last night. I couldn't believe it. It is so on. Join in. This is going to get hairy.

    Another downside of quitting is that it is scary. Continuing something you hate merely because you "can't quit" feels safer than actually going after what you really want. I'm guilty of this for sure... But I'm also guilty of quitting.
    s

    ReplyDelete

Oh, you'd like to say something? Well, thanks to the relative anonymity of the Intertron, you can!